Recipe by Culinary Kids
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ orange bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ zucchini, chopped
- ⅓ yellow zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 10 ounces rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (not already grated, you need to grate the cheese)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
1. Wash all produce.
2. Dice onions, bell peppers, and zucchini.
3. Drain and rinse black beans.
4. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium to high heat.
5. Add onions and bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Then add the zucchini and saute for 2 more minutes.
6. Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika; stir for 30-40 seconds until fragrant.
7. Whisk in vegetable broth and stir until well combined. Reduce heat to medium and add salsa and rotel.
8. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add black beans and stir.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes.
11. Stir in heavy whipping cream and cook for 1-2 minutes and serve with optional toppings.
Culinary Kids is a kids’ cooking class provider in California. In Culinary Kids’ classes children between the ages of 5 and 13 create theme-based snacks and meals to share with family and friends. Through the core values of teamwork, independence, and learning, the Culinary Kids Vision is to empower children to be lifelong learners by developing confidence through shared experiences and mutual encouragement.