This recipe was inspired by the famous cherry french toast at a local Wisconsin bed and breakfast. We’ve replaced cherries with strawberries because they’re easier to find at the supermarket year-round. To make things even easier, we’re using cinnamon bread which is sweet and flavorful on its own, meaning you don’t need to add a lot of ingredients to the batter. It’s the perfect recipe for a fancy weekend breakfast.
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 slices of cinnamon bread
- 2 Tbsp butter, separated
- 4 oz (1/2 standard tub) whipped cream cheese
- 3 tsp strawberry jam
- 6 strawberries
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Heat skillet on medium to medium-low heat.
2. In a wide, shallow pan (we like to use a glass 8 x 8 baking dish), mix together eggs and milk until thoroughly scrambled.
3. Dip each side of 4 slices of bread into the egg mixture, flipping with your Curious Chef tongs. Melt 1 tsp of butter on your hot skillet, then place dipped bread on skillet. Cook until bread is a golden brown with darker brown caramelized areas, then flip and cook the other side. Repeat with final 4 slices of bread.
4. While the french toast is cooking, mix together cream cheese and strawberry jam in a small mixing bowl. Use your Curious Chef knife to slice the strawberries.
5. When the french toast is cooked, lay 4 slices out on a platter. Top each with a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture and layer on sliced strawberries. Place the other 4 slices of french toast on top, and top with any leftover strawberries. Cut each stuffed french toast on a diagonal.
5. Serve with your favorite breakfast meat or meat-alternative. Dust with powdered sugar or top with maple syrup (optional)!
Tried our easy stuffed french toast recipe? Let us know how it turned out in the comments!